Contaminant Level (MCL)
Endrin is a pesticide once used on a wide range of crops: cotton, corn, sugarcane, rice, cereals and ornamental plants. Due to health concerns, most uses where prohibited in the United States in 1980.
Endrin is a persistant pollutant, and can remain in soil for as long as 14 years. Although it is now rarely found in drinking water, it can still arrive through banned insecticide residue.
According to the World Health Organization, a toxic dose of endrin can cause excitability, convulsions and can, without treatment, be fatal within two to twelve hours ( non-lethal poisoning is followed by rapid, full recovery.) The EPA warns of liver damage from long-term exposure:
Some people who drink water containing endrin well in excess of the maximum contaminant level (MCL) for many years could experience liver problems.
The EPA recommends granular activated carbon (GAC) for the treatment of endrin.
Sources: EPA, WHO, Photo: geograph.org.uk, author: Walter Baxter
(whole house & well units)